Friday, February 10, 2012

Pinned It AND Did It

Back when HGTV became available from our cable provider I devoured the DIY shows.  If I was home the TV was probably on, tuned to channel 52 and I taped episodes of my favorites so I wouldn't miss anything.  Eventually I realized that I was living vicariously through the DIY hosts and their projects.  I would watch a fireplace transformation and walk away feeling like I had just completed the project myself.  Nothing wrong with that.  In fact, it is a whole lot cheaper and way less messy to "finish" a home improvement task that way!  But I decided I would get a heck of a lot more satisfaction out of DIY than WSE (Watch Someone Else).  So I determined to select some DIY projects and just do them!  And it was more fun.

I am having the same dilemma with the Pinterest craze that is sweeping the nation.  I love collecting ideas and recipes but don't want to be just a pinner and not a doer.  The people that have signed up to "follow" me on Pinterest are probably a bit disappointed in my boards.  They are rather bleak.  And that is mainly because I want to take it slow and put to use the ideas I am collecting.  Maybe not all of them but at least some of them.
With that goal in mind I give you my "Pinned It and Did It" post for this week.  (I may be setting a rather lofty goal to do it once a week but that's where I will start, anyway).
Today I prepared Easy Healthy Crock Pot Chicken from recipe-diaries.com.  I followed the recipe with one added twist.
The recipe ingredients are:

Boneless chicken breasts, salsa, Rotel tomatoes, taco seasoning.

 I used 
  • 6 frozen chicken breasts (Mine were thawed but I think you could put these in the crock pot frozen.)
  • Salsa (Recipe called for 16oz. jar but I only had about 1/2 of a jar in my frig so that is all I used)
  • 1 can Rotel tomatoes (to make up for the missing salsa)
  • Taco seasoning mix (I substituted my own homemade mix for the 1 package of store bought mix)
It all goes into the crock pot.
And cooks for 4-6 hours on low.

I wondered if it would have been a good idea to drain the Rotel tomatoes but the extra liquid resulted in a very moist chicken.

 Using the two fork method, I shredded the chicken breasts.


 With a slotted spoon I took some of the tomato, salsa goodness from the cooking liquid and added it to the shredded meat.

A mountain of chicken yumminess!


 And I immediately did a taste test, filling a whole wheat tortilla with the salsa chicken and shredded cheddar cheese.
 
I have no pictures of me enjoying my salsa chicken wrap because it didn't take long for it to disappear.  It was good!  A think my hubby would like this in a quesadilla.  And according to recipe-diaries.com this is a Weight Watchers recipe.  That qualifies it for two thumbs up!!

So my first "Pinned It and Did It" is a success. 









1 comment:

  1. Well, I guess I need to go to your Pinterest acc't and snag that recipe. I'm not taking it easy on Pinterest, but I have made half a dozen recipes which I try to comment whether they're good or not worth making! :)

    ReplyDelete