Friday, February 17, 2012

Moooo!

I'm still reading through the minor prophets in the Old Testament and finding that they may be "minor" but had "major" things to say.  Of course, everything they said came from God which is major in itself. 

The prophet Amos had these words to share:

      "Hear this word, you cows of Bashan 
       who are on the mountain of Samaria,
       who oppress the poor, 
       who crush the needy,
       who say to your husbands, 
       "Bring now, that we may drink!"   
                            Amos 4:1                                                                   
What?  Did you hear that last line?  Cows have husbands?  I know they have bulls, but husbands?  

Maybe there is more to this verse than meets the eye, suppose?  Of course, there is.  God isn't concerned about the husbands of some mountain grazing cows.  Upon further study (I read the footnote in my Bible) I discovered that the phrase "cows of Bashan" referred to the Israelite women, who are being likened to the fat cows of Bashan, a rich, grain-producing land.  

What?  

Did you get that last line?  

God was calling this group of women COWS! 

FAT COWS!
 
Now that got my attention.  I do not want to be thought of as a cow!  So why were these gals being called such?

They oppressed the poor.

They crushed the needy.

They ordered their husbands to bring them something to drink, now!

Sounds selfish, self-centered, self-serving.  Lacking compassion and lazy.  Visions of lounging in the sunlight on a grass covered hill chewing one's cud come to mind.

Seems clear now.  If I don't want to be considered a female of the bovine category, I should look out for the interests of others, serving them when and where God enables.  I should desire to serve rather than to be served, especially in my own home.  I am convicted of a few tasks around the house that I am perfectly capable of doing and have the time to do but leave them for my hubby to do when he comes home because... Well, I have a number of lame excuses.  

So it's fine for cows to promote Chick-Fil-A but I don't think we need one in our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment