Saturday, December 17, 2011

Falling in love

It wasn't love at first sight.  But it was love at first drive! 

We test drove a new vehicle yesterday.  I basically spent less than 30 minutes in this automobile.  I drove to Walmart and back but that was all it took for me to go from "we don't need this nice of a car" to "Oh, how I would love to drive this everyday!" I fell in love with the heated seats, the sun roof, the XM radio.  I loved the way it looked sitting in our drive way.  I loved the way I looked sitting in it.  But, alas.  We knew it was not for us and much to my surprise, when we returned it to the dealer and proceeded to look at a lesser model I teared up.  Tears?! Over a car I had known less than an hour?!  And I was even more amazed when it took the rest of the evening for me to "get over it" and "let it go".  If I had just looked at the car I may have admired it's good looks but doubt that I would have made a heart connection with it.  But touching it, driving it, sitting in it, interacting with it produced a desire for it!

Then this morning I read in Psalm 119 "I rejoice at Thy word, as one who finds great spoil." "I love Thy law." "Those who love Thy law have great peace." "I love them (Thy testimonies) exceedingly." And I made the connection between what happened with a car and what can happen with God's word.  Just looking at it from the outside may result in a passing interest or admiration.  But when I touch it, sit with it, interact with it, experience it I develop a heart connection.  I grow to love it and become awed at its "bells and whistles".  I come to realize I don't want to live without it.  I want to "drive" it everyday.  I love the way I look when I have spent time in it.  Just like a new flashy car, I fall in love with God's word when I open the door, get in and experience the drive.  

"Oh, How I love Thy law!
It is my meditation all the day."
Psalm 119:97

No comments:

Post a Comment