Wednesday, November 2, 2011

"It was a dark and stormy night...."

Only it was a dark and stormy morning actually.  The weather took a turn toward winter in my part of the world today.  And after the most amazingly beautiful fall it was a smack in the face!  Maybe that is the reason I sat at my desk this morning in a funk.  No, I was in a funk: cold, wintery day or not.


The discussion at Bible study this week centered on the friendship of David and Jonathan, two men who were individually devoted to God and together devoted to each other.  We examined the traits of godly friendship and after the analysis I felt that I came up short.  


A friend once told me that I am a private person.  Some would use the word introvert.  I agree; I am very content hanging out by myself.  It takes a few days of hermit like living until I start to crave human contact.


God has impressed upon me in the last couple of years that He equipped me to be a listener and I am content with that role.  I would rather ask the questions and get another person to talk about themselves  than be the center of attention.    I kind of like being "invisible" in the crowd.  


But maybe that is only one side of the proverbial coin.  Letting another do all the talking and revealing of their heart might leave a "dot, dot, dot" at the end of the conversation (like the title to this post).  Am I being too one-sided in my friendships?  
  
Exodus 33:11 "Thus the Lord used to speak to Moses face to face, just as a man speaks to his friend..."
This kind of interaction requires both faces to be involved, to be communicating, to be listening and speaking, to be vulnerable.  It's a two way street.  But that can be risky.  Some may not understand.  I have seen the glazed over look on a person's face after opening up my heart and realized that they didn't get it.  I have opened myself up only to feel ignored.  But what if I never again take the chance?  What will I miss out on?  


I'm feeling a nudge from God here to speak up.  Take a baby step out of my comfort zone and be willing to reveal my heart in a deeper way with people.


Oh, I think I just did!




  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment